It seems at least once a day we are checking in with Grand Theft Auto Online, telling gamers either what’s broken or what’s been fixed. It started with Day 1, when the multiplayer mode launched with some serious problems, and although things have gotten better thanks to a recent update, there are still some significant issues with GTA Online.
One of the bigger in-game problems with Grand Theft Auto Online – missing game progress, characters, and items – appears to have been fixed with an update that went live on Wednesday. Rockstar is still cautiously optimistic, but they say many of the problems gamers had been reporting should be ironed out thanks to the latest patch.
Like with the previous GTA Online patch, the update is only available for the PS3 at the moment, but Rockstar expects it should go live sometime on Thursday the 10th. Hopefully that means early Thursday rather than later, as most gamers are likely chomping at the bit to get their character, progress, or cash back.
In addition to reinstating missing items and progress, the update also makes a few tweaks to gameplay in Grand Theft Auto Online, making the experience less buggy for everyone. See below for a full list of details on the update:
- Fixes multiple issues causing character deletion or other loss of progress
- Fixes issues causing infinite loading, infinite sky cams, and missing interface options between jobs
- Fixes an issue causing the “replay” option to be locked out on certain jobs
- Fixes an issue where a player would become stuck in the mod garage when respraying a Sanchez motor bike
- Fixes an issue where the Player became stuck inside Los Santos Customs during Online tutorial flow.
- Fixes an issue causing the loss of guns and ammo
- Fixes issues causing GTA races ending early because of players spawning too far ahead
- Fixes issues in Last Team Standing where sessions would not progress past the lobby
- Fixes issues with network errors when joining Last Team Standing using Quick Job
- Added clarifications around when a player is using a temporary character in GTA Online during Rockstar Cloud server outages
- Adjusts the monetary penalty for being killed in a One on One match
While this update will return many of the missing items from players’ inventory in GTA Online, Rockstar admits that it might not bring back those vehicles that were purchased and never saved to the cloud server. Unfortunately, those pricey rides are lost to the GTA gods.
Aside from that, though, it appears the worst could be behind us. But, just in case Grand Theft Auto Online still has a few nasty quirks, Rockstar recommends players quit out to the Story Mode every time they finish a multiplayer session in order to make a hard save. And, if any players do happen to notice a character missing or have trouble connecting to the cloud sever, they should quit out to Story Mode and use the start menu to get back into GTA Online. DO NOT create a temporary character or select the “Retry” option.
We’ve tested Grand Theft Auto Online and it seems to be running much smoother, but what do you think? Have you noticed any problems? Were your missing items, characters, or progress returned by the update?