As one of the most anticipated games of 2013, Grand Theft Auto 5 has some pretty big expectations to live up to. It’s been five years since the last entry in Rockstar Games’ open-world crime franchise, and since then the genre has changed quite a bit thanks to games like Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row.
Nevertheless, Rockstar hopes that fans will return to the well once again, and have promised a multi-layered experience that is bigger than anything they have done before. And just to sweeten the pot a little more, they are also rolling out two special editions of the game to give fans a little more incentive to buy.
Both the ‘Special Edition’ and the ‘Limited Edition’ offer players some decent trinkets and a few useful in-game items. The ‘Special Edition’ includes a few additional side missions — the Stunt Plane Trials — and some special modifiers for the game’s three main characters. The Special Edition retails for $79.99.
The ‘Limited Edition’ version of Grand Theft Auto 5 is a little more robust, and packages everything included with the ‘Special Edition,’ as well as its own unique items including a security deposit bag, a hat, and unique in-game vehicles. The Limited Edition retails for $149.99.
See below for more details about both Grand Theft Auto 5 editions:
- Full retail copy of Grand Theft Auto V
- Collectible SteelBook with Exclusive Artwork – This special SteelBook features double-sided, never-before-seen artwork of Michael, Trevor and Franklin. Custom color and metallic treatments bring out the detail of the artwork created exclusively for this SteelBook.
- Blueprint Map – This exclusive, additional 21.5” x 26.75” map displays a blueprint view of Los Santos and Blaine County. Cryptic markings indicate locations for fast cash and other points of interest for the up-and-coming entrepreneur.
- Special Ability Boost – Michael, Franklin and Trevor each have a unique special ability. With this boost, the special ability bar will generate 25% faster.
- Stunt Plane Trials – Single player Stunt Plane Trials let you take on additional aerial challenges spread throughout Los Santos and Blaine County.
- Bonus Outfits, Tattoos and More – Michael, Franklin and Trevor get bonus outfits in their wardrobes, character specific tattoos at tattoo parlors, and special deals from shopkeepers across Los Santos and Blaine County.
- Additional Weapons – When visiting Ammunation stores in single player, merchants will have special weapons in their inventory available for free: the Pistol .50, Bullpup Shotgun and melee Hammer.
- Includes all contents from the Special Edition
- Grand Theft Auto V Security Deposit Bag with Logo Key – Inspired by the heists in Grand Theft Auto V, this custom 10.75” x 8.5” money bag features a pop-up style lock and laser cut logo key to secure important items. The reverse side features a pressed Rockstar Games logo on the security mount with a framed ID window.
- Grand Theft Auto V New Era 9FIFTYâ„¢ Snapback Cap – This exclusive New Era 9FIFTYâ„¢ cap features an embroidered Los Santos logo on the front, a stitched, black Rockstar Games logo on the wearer’s left side, a Grand Theft Auto ‘V’ logo applique on the opposite side, and snapback closure for an adjustable fit.
- Custom Characters for Grand Theft Auto Online
Get classic Grand Theft Auto characters to use within the Grand Theft Auto Online Character Creation System.
- Unique Vehicles and Garage Property – Players will instantly receive a garage to store custom vehicles. In single player, the garage will be stocked with the 1930’s style Hotknife hotrod and the CarbonRS sports bike. In Grand Theft Auto Online, players will get the high-end Khamelion electric car.
If you pre-order the Limited, Special, or even the basic version of Grand Theft Auto 5 any time between now and September 17th, Rockstar will give you access to the Atomic Blimp (seen in the header image). What better way to see the expanse of Los Santos than from several thousand feet in the air?
All major retailers are now accepting pre-orders for the Grand Theft Auto 5 Special and Limited Edition, but of course only while supplies last. For a closer look at Grand Theft Auto 5 in action, as seen through the eyes of its three main characters, make sure to check out the most recent set of trailers.
Will you be pre-ordering the Limited or Special Edition of Grand Theft Auto 5? Which exclusive item(s) are you most interested in?
Grand Theft Auto 5 releases September 17, 2013 for the PS3 and Xbox 360.