A Gears of War 3 title update was just released today that should make the overall experience of the multiplayer a tiny bit enjoyable, and more suited for highly competitive players. As part of the update, Epic Games will be introducing a spectator mode for private matches, to allow two players to simply watch the match as it takes place.
Somewhat of a staple for the multiplayer arena, spectator mode allows high profile competitive leagues like MLG to judge matches fairly. Gears of War 3 isn’t necessarily the first title that comes to mind when the topic of MLG is brought up, but perhaps with spectator mode rolled in it will be.
Other fixes that are introduced with the update include a few tweaks being made to the game’s medals, allowing them to more accurately reflect the achievements they signify. Some are being changed to prevent exploitative multiplayer gamers from unfairly boosting their “street cred,” while others are letting those players who earned the medal feel the satisfaction of displaying it proudly.
On the cooperative side of things is a fix that should hopefully eliminate a problem gamers had been experiencing whereby their game became nigh unplayable. This instance was typically occurring during Horde matches played co-op with a shared screen, so if you’ve noticed any changes make sure to let Epic Games know.
And finally are a few minor changes to the inner workings of Horde mode to allow players who have a man drop out either because of disinterest or a poor connection to continue on with fewer hiccups.
For a complete list of the fixes introduced in this update see below:
- A spectator mode option has been added to private versus matches for broadcasting by gaming leagues.
- One player on each team will be able to choose spectator mode during match set up.
- The matches will be 4v4 with two spectators
- The Leader and Vengeful medals are now easier to acquire.
- The mutators Roadie Comet and Regen Enemies are now easier to acquire.
- Added an option to disable the HUD during multiplayer games for machinima and video creators
- Added a visual indicator of the next ring’s location during the last 10 ring points in KOTH.
- The Onyx Field Engineer medal can no longer be prestiged.
- In Capture the Leader, the overhead Beams on DryDock are no longer accessible.
- While affected by the Smoke Grenade stun, players will no longer be able to take hostages, pick up weapons or revive teammates.
- If there is a host migration during Horde, the match will resume at the same wave.
- Also during Horde, the Combat Engineer ribbon can now be achieved once per wave instead of once per game.
- The Ranked Disconnect stat will no longer increase when quitting a standard Horde or Beast game.
- The cringe from the Mortar will no longer cause players to drop their primary weapon.
- The Hail Mary ribbon is now correctly awarded for long distance Boomshot headshots.
- Maps will no longer be immediately repeated when choosing random map selection.
- If the host pauses during a private versus match the game will continue for other players.
- The game will still pause in the Campaign, Beast and Horde.
- Potential fix for the rare lost progress issue.
- Potential fix for the rare profile freezing issue.
- Beast leaderboard screen no longer refreshes while sending challenges
Are there any issues not mentioned in the update list that you would still like to see corrected? Have you noticed any new, glaring problems with the multiplayer that Epic Games should fix right away?
Gears of War 3 is out now for the Xbox 360.
Source: Epic Games