While the jury is still out on the upcoming Frostbite 2 powered, free-to-play and online-only reboot of Command & Conquer, longtime fans (and total newcomers) have one huge collection of the already-released franchise installments to keep their time and/or introduce them to the series.
In anticipation for the release of the now-without-a-campaign Commander & Conquer by BioWare Victory and Electronic Arts, PC gamers can pick up Command & Conquer The Ultimate Collection – a package that includes all 17 games (even that first-person shooter one!) in the series along with some great memories of what Westwood Studios crafted back in the day as the developer responsible the best-selling strategy franchise of all-time.
Jon Van Caneghem, Vice President and General Manager, Electronic Arts:
“Command & Conquer holds a special place in the hearts of many strategy gamers around the world. We’re excited not only to be giving our fans a chance to return to their favorite universes this year, but also to introduce the series to gamers who have not yet experienced the fun, legendary games that Command & Conquer is known for.”
The Command & Conquer series is divided up into three different series (Tiberium, Red Alert and Generals) and below is a list of all the games released for each thus far. The upcoming Command & Conquer was initially titled Command & Conquer: Generals 2 but dropped its subtitle (and its campaign) in favor of a more simple EA rebranding (much like Medal of Honor in 2010). The idea is that as the game evolves, it could grow to include elements from Tiberium and Red Alert and even one-day add story content.
- Tiberium – The universe that started it all, the Tiberium series is set in the early 21st century amidst an epic clash for planetary control between the Global Defense Initiative, the Brotherhood of Nod and later the alien Scrin. Games in the Tiberium series include:
- Command & Conquer
- Command & Conquer™ The Covert Operations™
- Command & Conquer™ Tiberian Sun™
- Command & Conquer™ Tiberian Sun™ Firestorm™
- Command & Conquer Renegade™
- Command & Conquer™ 3 Tiberium Wars™
- Command & Conquer™ 3 Kane’s Wrath
- Command & Conquer™ 4 Tiberian Twilight
- Red Alert – Travel to an alternate universe where the cold war between the Soviets, the Allies and later, the Empire, is still raging. Known for a tone that is more comical and over-the-top, the Red Alert series includes the following games:
- Command & Conquer™ Red Alert™
- Command & Conquer Red Alert™ Counterstrike™
- Command & Conquer Red Alert™ The Aftermath™
- Command & Conquer Red Alert™ 2
- Command & Conquer Red Alert™ Yuri’s Revenge™
- Command & Conquer™ Red Alert™ 3
- Command & Conquer™ Red Alert™ 3 Uprising
- Generals – Take the helm of one of three sides – the US, China or the Global Liberation Army – in a modern warfare setting that features bleeding-edge military weaponry.
- Command & Conquer™ Generals
- Command & Conquer™ Generals Zero Hour
Command & Conquer The Ultimate Collection has been updated to work with Windows Vista and Windows 7 machines and players who purchase the bundle get early access to Command & Conquer beta. The collection is available in retail and digitally through Origin. For now, players can try out the free-to-play Command & Conquer Tiberium Alliances which recently hit a million registered users.
What’s the best Command & Conquer game to date?
Command & Conquer releases on PC in 2013.
Follow Rob on Twitter @rob_keyes.